National Farm to Fork Procurement Director
The Common Market- a non-profit distributor of food from family farms- seeks a National Procurement Director to drive purchases of local food in order to achieve the organization's mission: to strengthen regional farms while making the local bounty accessible to communities and the institutions that serve them. Position can be based out of either our Atlanta, Brooklyn or Philadelphia office with travel up to 50% of the year to our regions to support team, farmers and customers in all our regions (Georgia/ Alabama, Texas, NY/ PA/ NJ/ VA with plans for the mid-West in 2020).
The Procurement Director is responsible for developing a strategic approach to building sustainable supply chains to enable The Common Market's purchase of food from sustainable family farms in our 3 locations- Houston metro, Atlanta metro and the Mid-Atlantic (NY/DC/Philly). In this leadership role, the successful candidate will direct procurement at our 3 regional locations; manage procurement staff at each location; develop and/or update procurement policies and procedures; analyze industry trends and stay abreast of changes in the marketplace; build value chains and develop a centralized wholesale readiness program for prospective suppliers. Your team of 3-4 staff will have tactical responsibility for the development and implementation of policies, procedures and systems that support the company's mission to provide sustainably-grown food from local family farms to anchor institutions, like hospitals and schools. A key priority is to ensure effective collaboration with sales teams at each location to drive sales of local food by working with large buyers at school districts/ municipalities to identify opportunities for our local farms.
A successful candidate:
- is a strong communicator and multi-tasker with solid analytical skills who leads by example with passion and expertise
- Understands The Common Market's business strategy and its links to Procurement. Works closely with senior management to ensure procurement strategies are aligned with business objectives
- Develops consensus within multi-functional team (warehouse, sales, marketing), transforming conflicting objectives into agreed goals
- Experienced in Quality Control and Food Safety, we are SQF level 2 and we support our farmers' Good Agricultural Practices certification. On-farm experience preferred.
- Knowledgeable of sustainable growing practices, including IPM, certified organic, certified humane, non-GMO. Experience with on-farm capacity building a plus.
- Experienced leading leaders, providing coaching, developing talent, and building a high-performance team
- Exhibits cultural awareness and experience of diversity
- Understands market pricing and has experience analyzing market trends
- Strong analytical and software skills. Working knowledge of ERP systems and Salesforce a plus
- Travel up to 50% of the year to our regions to support team, farmers and customers in our regions (Georgia/ Alabama, Texas, NY/ PA/ NJ/ VA with plans for the mid-West in 2020)
- Manages a cost-effective supply chain that aligns with our values and constantly looks for ways to reduce expenses and continuously improve
- Proactively collaborates with the Sales and Marketing teams to ensure The Common Market remains innovative, unique, authentic, attractive and competitive
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Logistics, Agriculture or related field.
- 5 years of related experience, with at least 3 years of supervisory experience
- Results-oriented, metrics-driven leader with expertise in purchasing, supplier collaboration, development and compliance
- Experience with sourcing and procurement and building a vendor program
- Contract negotiation and pricing experience
- Detailed oriented, organized and able to function effectively and productively in an extremely fast-paced environment
- Experience project planning and implementation
- Pay commensurate with experience
- 2 weeks annual PTO
- Monthly health insurance stipend
- The Common Market Farm Share - Fruit & Vegetable Share
- SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with 100% employer match
No phone calls please