Executive Director: Mid-Atlantic Food Hub
The Common Market Mid-Atlantic, a nonprofit mission-driven distributor of local foods to the Mid-Atlantic region, seeks an experienced manager to lead our organization through an upcoming period of growth. The work of our organization strengthens regional family farms while making the local bounty accessible to communities and the schools, hospitals, restaurants, and grocery stores that serve them.
The Common Market is on a mission to connect communities and institutions to good food from sustainable family farms and is seeking a new Executive Director motivated to join us on that mission — and think innovatively about leading, inspiring and supporting a diverse team! We are a fast-paced, multi-faceted organization that requires an Executive Director that can lead and execute on multiple levels simultaneously. The Common Market’s close-knit culture places a high priority on communication, recognition and collaboration.
A successful candidate for Chapter Executive Director at The Common Market is an influential manager with ability to lead and motivate teams. They will have an entrepreneurial disposition and will create an environment for innovation and growth. They have experience managing operations, sales as well as building long-term client relationships with senior staff at large buyers and foundations. Our ideal candidate combines excellent communication skills with a strategic mindset. They have solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting experience.
The Executive Director will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of our Mid-Atlantic Chapter (DMV, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Lehigh Valley), ensuring that we are operating efficiently and effectively to meet our goals. In this role, you will be the face of the organization, responsible for leading and executing on the strategic direction and implementing a high quality vision as defined by the Common Market mission. You will ensure that Chapter staff members (27 people, spread over 2 warehouses and 3 sales offices) are aligned with the company’s mission and vision and that we are working together to successfully achieve strategic objectives.
- Design and implement a strategic business plan that promotes The Common Market’s mission and vision, expands the customer base and ensures its strong presence within institutional food service in the region.
- Manage and oversee day-to-day chapter activities which includes fundraising, sales, procurement, trucking, warehouse, facilities management and support functions. This will include developing an in-depth understanding of the technologies and processes used to manage the day to day operations.
- Build an effective team of leaders by providing guidance and coaching and modeling professionalism, effective communication and strong collaboration.
- Help meet customer acquisition and revenue growth targets by keeping The Common Market food hub enterprise competitive and innovative. Use your creativity and thorough knowledge of sales processes to provide innovative ideas for business growth. Develop and maintain successful relationships with large buyers (ex. Aramark, Sodexo, Whole Foods, School Districts in our region)
- Manage warehouse and trucking operations to ensure scalability and long term growth.
- Manage and develop procurement (replenishment buyers) team members to partner with our producers in a strategic and mission-aligned capacity.
- Forge and maintain relations of trust with Board of Directors, project partners and philanthropic community.
- Direct and coordinate fundraising efforts with local donors.
- Act as the public speaker and public relations representative of The Common Market in the Mid-Atlantic region in ways that strengthen the organization's profile locally
- Manage the budget, including annual budget preparation and monthly analysis of profitability, revenues and expenses.
- Minimum 5 years of applicable experience and at least 3 years of supervisory experience
- Ability to convey a vision of The Common Market's strategic future to staff, board, customers, vendors and donors
- Demonstrated ability to lead in a small, start-up environment that is fast-paced and multi-faceted
- Must have the ability to learn new technology quickly
- Successful experience as a manager who is responsible for team that generates revenue, consistently meeting or exceeding targets
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting;
- Experience in developing strategies which is demonstrated through strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Strong aptitude for verbal and written communication, presentation, public speaking and relationship development
- Exhibits cultural awareness and experience of diversity
- Demonstrated interest in learning fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Supply-chain/wholesale food distribution industry experience
- BS/MS degree in business administration, nonprofit management or a related field
- Pay commensurate with experience
- 2 weeks annual PTO
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
- 100% Employer Paid Life AD&D and LTD
- The Common Market Farm Share - Fruit & Vegetable Share
- SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with 100% employer match up to 3%