The Common Market, a nonprofit mission-driven distributor of local farm foods to the Mid-Atlantic region, seeks an experienced manager to lead our Operations through an upcoming period of growth. The work of our organization strengthens regional family-farms, while making the local bounty accessible to communities and the schools, hospitals, restaurants, and grocery stores that serve them.
We are looking for an individual that has food supply-chain experience and a passion for our mission. The primary responsibility of the Operations Manager is the overall management and execution of all logistic functions to include but are not limited to, receiving, handling, warehousing and shipping of perishable goods. As a Manager, this person will manage warehouse and transportation personnel, be accountable to a budget, required to meet finance goals; all the while ensuring safety and security of the operations.
- Manage day to day operations by directing and coordinating activities consistent with established goals, objectives, and policies.
- Manage warehouse labor and truck drivers to include work schedules based on volume of sales/purchases for cost-effectiveness
- Create policies or procedures for logistics activities (Receiving, Cooling, Cold Room Storage, Shipping, transportation/trucking)
- Assess processes and interpret data
- Develop best practices, routines and innovative solutions to improve quality of output
- Manage cost and time constraints
- Provide process documentation and operating instructions
- Food Safety: Be the enforcer for all Food Safety/Defense plans, keeping all SOPs and Policy docs up-to-date. Ensure that all warehouse employees, contractors and visitors are following the company procedures, company safety rules, food safety and security program.
- Attends and participates in food safety and DOT training classes. Fill out and complete any necessary food safety documents
- Train warehouse department personnel in roles or responsibilities in executing policies and SOPs.
- Responsible for maintaining all Transportation and Building vendors/suppliers relationships; signs off on all service or equipment purchases (utilities, pest control, security, etc)
- Collaborate with other departments to integrate logistics with processes, such as new customer/farming on-boarding
- Analyze the financial impact of proposed logistics changes, such as routing, shipping modes, remote wh storage, etc.
- Direct inbound or outbound logistics operations, such as transportation or warehouse activities, safety performance, or logistics quality management
- Identify and develop cost cutting efficiencies throughout areas of responsibility.
- Manage direct reports which include Truck Lead, WH Lead, Warehouse Associates, and Drivers.
- Reviews performance against operating budgets, plans and standards.
- Ongoing development of key personnel including team building and improved communications.
- Acts as Property Manager on behalf of The Common Market being a point of contact for all lease tenants
- Reports to Executive Director
- Problem Solving - Works well in group problem solving situations
- Interpersonal – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming. Maintains confidentiality. Listens to others without interrupting. Keeps emotions under control. Remains open to others’ ideas and makes suggestions of ideas to better policies and procedures
- Oral Communication – Listens and gets clarification. Responds well to questions
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Able to build morale and group commitments to goal and objectives. Supports everyone's efforts to succeed; Ability to work well with all team members
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Works with integrity
- Support Company Vision - Follows policies and procedures; Supports company's goals and values. Leads by example
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent;
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals
- Planning/Organizing - Uses time efficiently
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly
- Safety and Security – Has mastery of Safety plans and is able to action/remedy situations swiftly
- 5-7 Years of Leadership/Management experience
- Compensation rage $64,500-$77,900 based on experience
- Group Medical Insurance offered after probationary period
- Option to enroll in retirement plan with 100% employer match (up to 3% of annual compensation)
- 5 paid days off in the first year
- Free Common Market Farm Share, a bi-weekly box of eggs and 6-8 types of fruits an vegetables
- Boot Allowance
Please no phone calls, apply online.