Our Vision, Mission & Growth
At The Common Market, we envision a nation composed of vibrant regional food systems- where interdependent urban and rural communities thrive through relationships that build the health and wealth of all people. Our mission is to strengthen regional farms while making the local bounty accessible to communities and the institutions that serve them. We strive to improve food security, farm viability, and community and ecological health.
With locations currently serving New York City, Greater Philadelphia, Baltimore, Greater Washington, DC and the Greater Atlanta regions, we launched our third location serving the Greater Houston region.
The Common Market Texas launched in early 2018 from Houston, Texas and we seek a Customer Outreach Coordinator that we be responsible for building sales. We are looking for an individual who is highly motivated, charismatic, results-driven and passionate about sustainable food. This position requires an extremely organized individual who is able to work independently with a sense of urgency and great attention to detail – someone who is flexible, collaborative, and possesses excellent communication and problem-solving skills. The Customer Outreach Coordinator will work out of our Houston office and report to The Common Market Texas Director.
This is a position at a new location for the organization, meaning this position will play a key role in laying a strong foundation for a rapidly growing, results-driven social enterprise. Through this role, you will understand how our operation works in its entirety from Sales, Procurement, and Warehousing. It's an opportunity to learn how all of the pieces come together in a model food hub and social enterprise. There is real opportunity for growth within the position and within our organization. Due to the challenges of starting a new location, this job requires someone that is extremely flexible and willing to participate in duties outside of their regular responsibilities detailed below.
- Works closely with the Texas Director and National Procurement Director to create and improve systems that drive our organization.
- Work with chefs and food service to grow sales of local food and build customer base. This will entail setting goals, creating a strategy for customer growth and retention, entering customer orders, and working directly with buyers to promote education and sales of local farm foods.
- Take responsibility for different groups of customers, such as Colleges and Universities and Restaurants.
- Networks with current customers, trade groups, and institutional partners to identify new potential customers; schedules appointments and follows up with potential customers.
- Educates and advises potential customers on the benefits of incorporating food from local sustainable farms as part of a food service operation.
- Ensures proactive approach to maintain positive customer relations through ongoing communication, defining needs/expectations and working collaboratively with Common Market staff to find solutions to customers’ needs.
- Coordinates with Common Market procurement, operations, trucking, finance, IT and communications staff to resolve customer problems and ensure high quality customer experience.
- Warehouse duties such as packing customer orders, receiving shipments, loading trucks, and daily quality control checks.
- Learns the intricacies of maintaining the highest levels of food safety standards within our operations.
- Regularly evaluates and makes suggestions about how to improve/adapt to ensure a better customer experience and more efficient operations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of sustainable agriculture and local food systems preferred
- Strong preference for someone with experience in customer outreach, sales and relationship management
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word and Excel)
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Flexible work hours to accommodate some evening and weekend work
- Flexible work ethic to accommodate the challenges of a start-up location
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
- Compensation commensurate with experience
- 2 weeks annual PTO
- 5 holidays
- Monthly health insurance stipend
- Option to enroll in retirement plan with 3% matching
- The Common Market Farm Share - Free Fruit & Vegetable Share; discounts on Meat, Poultry, Yogurt, Cheese and Bread Shares once this program launches