Our Vision, Mission & Growth
The Common Market is a nonprofit local food distributor that connects food from family farms to wholesale markets. Our mission is to strengthen regional farms while making the local bounty accessible to communities and the institutions that serve them. Founded in 2008, The Common Market currently serves New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, DC and has locations in Atlanta and Houston.
This position is to manage Common Market's warehouse, located in North Philadelphia. Warehouse is SQF food safety certified 70,000 sq ft with 10,000 sq ft of cold storage and multiple tenants.
We are looking for an individual that has food industry experience, a proven track record in warehouse management and a passion for our mission. Responsibilities include but are not limited to, managing activities related to product receiving, product replenishment, order selection, order loading, expense and revenue management, providing management and direction to warehouse staff and ensuring safety and security of the operations.
- The Warehouse Manager is responsible for enforcing food safety and quality programs, overseeing receiving/ packing/ shipping, controlling inventory levels, conducting physical counts, and reconciling with inventory management system. The Warehouse Manager monitors and improves packing & shipping procedures to maximize shipping effectiveness and efficiency.
- The Warehouse Manager schedules workdays for other employees and trains and recruits staff. The Warehouse Manager maintains results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; this also involves planning, monitoring, and appraising job results. Scheduling and working closely with warehouse employees is a major component to the Warehouse Manager’s typical day.
- The Warehouse Manager maintains the physical condition of the warehouse by monitoring inspections of facilities and equipment and overseeing sanitation, maintenance and repairs. Coordinates with contractors and building tenants as needed.
Successful candidate will have strong skills in supervision, developing budgets, safety management, developing standards, managing processes, surveillance skills, inventory control, reporting skills, analyzing information, and equipment maintenance.
Five or more years of experience working in a warehouse, perishable products preferred. Experience managing 2 to 10 staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Spreadsheet and Word Processing software, and ability to learn Common Market technology and programs. Must have excellent computer skills.
- Ability to prepare reports and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to successfully engage and lead individual and team discussions and meetings.
- Demonstrated experience fostering positive working relationships with people of diverse cultures.
- Ability to apply all relevant policies in a consistent, timely and objective manner.
- Capable of working with peers and associates from other departments in a proactive and constructive manner.
- Ability to work in a disciplined manner and capable of following established procedures, practices and comply with local, state and federal regulations.
- Ability to manage the pressures and stress associated with a deadline-oriented atmosphere and customer service issues. Demonstrates skill in making independent decision in support of company policies and procedures in a timely manner.
- Able to regularly lift 50 lbs.
- Willingness and ability to work extra hours in September and October.
The Common Market offers an excellent work environment, training and the chance to grow with our organization.
- Compensation commensurate with experience, beginning at $45-55k
- 2 weeks annual paid time off (PTO)
- 5 paid holidays off
- Monthly health insurance stipend
- Option to enroll in retirement plan with 100% employer match (up to 3% of annual compensation)
- The Common Market Farm Share - Free Bi-weekly box of fruit & vegetables