Executive Director, Mid-Atlantic Food Hub
The Common Market Mid-Atlantic, a nonprofit mission-driven distributor of local foods to the Mid-Atlantic region, seeks an experienced manager to lead our organization through an upcoming period of growth. The work of our organization strengthens regional family farms while making the local bounty accessible to communities and the schools, hospitals, restaurants, and grocery stores that serve them.
The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of our Mid-Atlantic Chapter (DMV, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Lehigh Valley) ensuring that we are operating efficiently and effectively to meet our goals. In this role, you will be the face of the organization, responsible for giving the proper strategic direction and implementing a high quality vision. You will ensure that Chapter staff members (27 people, spread over 2 warehouses and 3 sales offices) are aligned with the company’s mission and vision and that we are working together to successfully achieve strategic objectives. The Common Market has a close-knit culture in which we place a high priority of communication, recognition and collaboration.
A successful candidate for Chapter Director at The Common Market is an influential manager with ability to lead and motivate their team while taking accountability for reaching sales and fundraising targets. They have experience managing a remote sales team and building long-term client relationships with senior staff at large buyers and foundations. Our ideal candidate combines excellent communication skills with a strategic mindset. They have solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting experience.
- Manage and lead the organization towards the realization of its mission. Build an effective team of leaders by providing guidance and coaching to subordinate managers
- Develop and implement strategies aiming to promote the organization’s mission and vision. Design and implement a strategic business plan that expands The Common Market's customer base and ensure it’s strong presence within institutional food service in the region.
- Achieve growth and hit sales targets by successfully managing the sales team. Remotely supervise a team of salespeople and set profitable goals and strategies. Sales team of 4-6 people with offices in DC, Philly and Brooklyn. Frequent travel to DC, NY expected. Own recruiting, objectives setting, coaching and performance monitoring of sales representatives
- Help us meet our customer acquisition and revenue growth targets by keeping our food hub enterprise competitive and innovative. Use your creativity and thorough knowledge of sales processes to provide innovative ideas for business growth. Develop and maintain successful relationships with large buyers (ex. Aramark, Sodexo, Whole Foods, School Districts in our region)
- Oversee the warehouse and trucking operations. We have 10 delivery trucks and 2 refrigerated warehouses that are directly managed by our Warehouse Manager and Trucking Manager.
- Forge and maintain relations of trust with Board of Directors, project partners and philanthropic community. Direct and coordinate fundraising efforts with local donors.
- Act as the public speaker and public relations representative of The Common Market in the Mid-Atlantic region in ways that strengthen the organization's profile locally
- Manage the budget, including annual budget preparation and monthly analysis of profitability, revenues and expenses.
- BS/MS degree in business administration, nonprofit management or a related field
- 5 years of related experience, with at least 3 years of supervisory experience
- Ability to convey a vision of The Common Market's strategic future to staff, board, customers, vendors and donors
- Successful previous experience as a manager who is responsible for team that generates revenue, consistently meeting or exceeding targets
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, present and influence credibly and effectively at all levels of the organization
- Strong business sense and industry expertise
- Experience in developing strategies and leading the implementation of plans
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Strong aptitude for verbal and written communication, presentation, public speaking and relationship development
- Exhibits cultural awareness and experience of diversity
- Demonstrated interest in learning fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Pay commensurate with experience
- 2 weeks annual PTO
- Monthly health insurance stipend
- The Common Market Farm Share - Fruit & Vegetable Share
- SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with 100% employer match
No phone calls please